Current Collection Device (CCD) shoes - Product
Mersen offers a large range of CCD shoes for electrical current collection in urban networks. The diversity of products allows to find the most suitable solutions for each metro system. The use of carbon allows to reduce friction, and therefore protects the power rail and impr
Description of the Product
Mersen offers a large range of CCD shoes for electrical current collection in urban networks. The diversity of products allows to find the most suitable solutions for each metro system. The use of carbon allows to reduce friction, and therefore protects the power rail and improves its lifetime.
- Resistance to mechanical impact
- Ability to withstand high starting / regenerative / stopping current loads
- Good sliding properties and lubricating power
- Non destructive to the power rail
- Carbon materials tailored for metro application
- Plain or impregnated carbons
- Lead-free carbon materials (pure or copper-impregnated)
- Welded, bonded, crimped, bronze-casted or EcoDesign assembly
- Sheaths in aluminum, copper or steel
- Option of metal nose pieces
- LRV (light rail vehicles)
- People movers (for example airport shuttles)
Mersen offers recyclable solutions.
Today’s requirements for technical performance cannot go without environmental performance.
Let’s take the example of a CCD shoe, used to transmit power from the 3rd or the 4th rail to the railcar system traction unit. The only wear part is the carbon strip; all the other components would in most cases not need to be replaced. However, as the strip is currently assembled by welding or bonding, the whole shoe is scrapped after use, which is a waste of resources and money.
Mersen have pioneered and patented a 3rd rail CCD shoe called « EcoDesign ». The concept is to reuse all the metal components (carriers and bolts) with the replacement of the carbon wear strip only.
Using a new assembly method, Mersen takes one step forward on the road to be Eco-responsible in eradicating the need for lead brazing and associated chemical products, and reducing the power consumption of the manufacturing process.
For Mersen customers, the use of the “EcoDesign” shoe allows them to reduce waste production and consequently decrease the environmental footprint of their operations.